4 Available chapters - Download the PDF
9 Available chapters - Download the PDF
3 Available chapters - Download the PDF
3. Focus on the Netherlands
• Yearly goods transport performance on inland waterways in the Netherlands represents 1/3 of the total European inland waterway transport performance.
• There are more than 5,000 inland vessels active in the goods transport sector in the Netherlands, of which over 3,500 are dry cargo vessels.
• The share of the Dutch fleet within the total European cargo fleet is around 37% (share based on number of vessels).
General remark: The “focus on” chapter is a new chapter of market insight reports and consists in a country approach. This first edition focuses on the Netherlands. It is the first edition of a series of “focus on” chapters which all shall have a very similar structure. Their aim is to
1) present a fact sheet with key IWT figures for one particular country,
2) visualize the transport demand evolution per goods segments for this country, and
3) show key figures about the most important port in the country.
In the following market insight reports, other countries will be analysed in an according manner, thereby alternating between Rhine and Danube countries, and presenting also countries outside these two areas, until all countries in Europe are dealt with.
Source: Analysis CCNR based on Eurostat data [sbs_na_1a_se_r2], [iww_go_atygo], [iww_go_actygo], [tran_hv_frmod], [iww_eq_loadcap], [road_go_ta_tcrg], [rail_go_contwgt], [iww_eq_age], CBS, CCNR fleet database
Notes: “Share in EU total” contains figures for the EU plus Switzerland and Serbia.
*% share based on tonnes of annual cargo traffic
|Maritime traffic total||467.4 mio. tonnes|
|Inland waterway traffic total||158.1 mio. tonnes|
|Number of inland vessels (frequentation)||105 000|
|Modal share IWT (for loaded goods)||55%|
Source: Port of Rotterdam and CBS